Thursday, 21 March 2013

From Cover To Cover

Well, here I am waiting for the promised heavy snow to start falling, just one day after the official start of spring! It feels a bit like waiting for Armageddon so I thought it would be a good opportunity to bring my blog up to speed, especially as I'm struggling with the "dreaded lurgy" and don't feel like tackling any writing projects yet.

Last time I blogged, I was investigating the hidden (or otherwise!) costs involved in self-publishing an e-book. I'm pleased to say that it looks like I won't have to pay a graphic designer to design the cover as I think I've managed to do it myself!

I wasn't planning on sorting out the cover design yet but as I've mentioned before, I'm in the process of rebuilding my writing website http://www.melissalawrence.co.uk and I wanted an image on the home page to alert visitors to the fact that an e-book is imminent.

I started playing around with some ideas in one of my crafting graphics programmes and before I knew it, I had a cover design! Then I remembered there is a limit of 200 on how many items of one design you can sell using imported artwork and obviously I hope I'll be selling more, so I had to start all over again.

I also spent ages testing the design out as a "thumbnail" image as that is how it will appear in the Kindle Store on Amazon and comparing it with loads of other covers. In the end, I opted for emphasising a large, bold title that showed up reasonably well in the thumbnail size and didn't worry too much about my name not being very clear.

I still might need to change it as I think there is a limit on how many characters Amazon will let you use for the title and sub-title. However, that aside, I'm quite pleased with what I've produced so far but any comments or suggestions on the "prototype" below would be greatly appreciated. I've deliberately put up a small image as that is roughly the size it will be on the screen.  

 
Provisional Cover Design
Copyright Melissa Lawrence 2013
   

4 comments:

  1. Love the cover. Its bright, cheerful and has humour, which I think is excellent. Only suggestion would be to make the heart a bit quirky, too, just to eliminate the suggestion that it's a Valentine book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane. Thanks very much for your feedback which is muuch appreciated. I'll see what I can do with the heart but I'm a bit limited by my graphics programme only being able to draw out basic shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. You know that graphics isn't my strong point, also that your market research is much stronger than mine, so don't take my comment too much to heart (sorry, couldn't resist the pun - puns also not my strong point!). It just struck me as a Valentine image, and even if the same heart was slightly askew, rather than upright then that might dispel that association a bit. However, I'm over-exploring what is a very small niggle.

      Delete
  3. Thanks again, Jane. Yes, I could do an "askew" heart or even a slightly "raggedy" one. I'll have another look at it when I get back to work.

    ReplyDelete